As we closed the door on 2013 I’m sure many of you set wild and crazy New Year Resolutions for 2014 that you’ll try to keep (at least for the first few days). For those of you setting your sights on travelling more this year I want to say just one thing, please please please keep that one.
You could plan that big gap year escape to Europe you always dreamt about, took a winter break to Asia with some friends for some sun or just skipped over a state and see how the others live in Australia. It doesn’t matter what sort of travel you take this year it’s just that you take it.
And that is in itself the great thing about travel, it doesn’t matter how big or small the trip is, it’s all travel. I’ve travelled far and wide in the last 3 years and from every trip I’ve learnt something new and that’s what I want for everyone with travel dreams this year to focus on.
So to help keep you on the straight and narrow this year I want to share these 5 tips to keep that resolution to travel more this year.
- Travel doesn’t always mean trips to far away places. I travelled to Sydney for the first time in my life last year and had a great time (don’t tell my Victorian friends). You can seek out fun locations or cheap flights close to home all the time so make the most of those long weekends. You’d be surprised just what you can do in your own backyard.
- Don’t make it complicated. Travel should be fun so keep the itineraries light and leave yourself open to exploring. Some of the best fun I’ve had came at the most random of times. A tip from a local, walking left instead of right down a path or just leaving it all up to chance. The simpler you make it the more enjoyable it will be for everyone.
- Don’t wait on others to go with you, just go. For the longest time I was too afraid to travel solo. The fear of the unknown really got to me but once I’d made the leap and survived I couldn’t believe how silly I’d been. Solo travel was the cornerstone for me to growing into a more confident and outgoing person.
- If funds are tight but you really want that big trip abroad then setup your savings to work for you. There are some great online banks for saving money that offer better than average interest rates. And credit cards these days that will be your ideal travel card helping you save on fees while abroad.
- And lastly just do it. It doesn’t matter if your dream travel destination is the same as a million others or if it’s the next big city away from you. All this talk of having to travel off the beaten track or you can’t go there its too touristy is crazy. Travel to explore and satisfy your own curiosity not anybody elses.
I hope 2014 will be good to all of you. And if our paths should cross in this big world of ours then say hello and we can compare adventures over a beer.
I’ll leave you with this quote I found the other day because it seems a fitting way to start the year.